We made these stuffed peppers from a whole variety of peppers that we had in our CSA food box. The peppers came out looking beautiful and were fairly fast to create. Don’t forget to cover them in foil when you bake them so that they come out steamed and moist. Kellie has a “Camp Stuffed Peppers Recipe” where you grill them in stead of baking, check it out.
Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 15-20 small to medium size peppers (poblanos, bell peppers, light yellow peppers etc…) – 6 peppers if larger size
- 1 lb. Ground Beef (or half ground beef & half ground turkey)
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (next time I would omit the rice)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce (w/ green chilis or peppers) + any tomatoes you need to use up
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees
- Cook rice. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the onions and garlic and then add the beef and cook until browned.
- Wash, remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward or to the side.
- In a bowl, mix the browned beef, cooked rice, 1 can tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. Mix the remaining tomato sauce and Italian seasoning in a bowl, and pour over the stuffed peppers. Cover the dish/baking sheet with foil.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, basting with sauce every 15 minutes, until the peppers are tender.