What you will need for your Cast Iron Dessert Crisp with any fruit combination:
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Any Fruit (Strawberries)
- Other pantry items: brown sugar, sugar, flour, butter, almonds (optional), lemon or orange zest (optional)
Various Seasonal Fruit Combinations:
- Plum & Peach
- Triple Berry
Blueberry-Nectarine Crisp Recipe
Recipe from Vegetarian Fresh Food Fast Cookbook
- 4 ripe nectarines, halved, pitted, and cut into 1/2″ slices
- 1 pint blueberries
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon (if you don’t have a lemon, use orange zest)
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
Vanilla ice cream for serving
- Set a rack in the bottom third of oven and preheat to 425F
- In a medium bowl, toss the nectarines with the blueberries, brown sugar, and lemon zest.
- In another medium bowl, combine the flour, butter, and sugar and with your fingers, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the flour has absorbed most of it. Stir in the almonds.
- Transfer the fruit mixture to the large ovenproof skillet. Spread the flour mixture over the fruit. Place the skillet over high heat and cook until the fruit begins to bubble. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling and tender, about 2o minutes.
- Allow the crisp to cool slightly and serve with ice cream.
I used mangos and blueberries. The mango flavor was very muted.