Week after week, how many things can you do with greens? I am on a mission to find some delicious options to incorporate greens into our weekday diet. But before I go there with the recipes I have to report on the good ol’ classic greens. Paula Dean’s greens are classic and almost exactly like the greens we make. We usually use bacon fat when we don’t have ham hocks. Greens are a tasty side dish to have with a tri-tip or a BBQ dinner.
- Collard Greens: Taste: Mild Benefits: Vitamins A, C and K, folate, fiber, and calcium Preparation: Typically boiled.
- Dandelion Greens: Taste: Bitter, tangy Benefits: Vitamin A and calcium Preparation: Steamed or Raw.
- Kale: Taste: A bit bitter, cabbage-like taste Benefits: Vitamins A, C and K. Preparation: Soups, stews, risottos, stir-fries, and sauces.
- Mustard Greens: Taste: Spicy Benefits: Vitamins A, C, and K, folate, and calcium. Preparation: Eaten raw in salads or in stir-fries and soups.
- Swiss Chard: Taste: Similar to spinach Benefits: Vitamins A, C, and K, potassium and iron. Preparation: Stir-fried or eaten raw in salads.
* See Bacon Fat Note Below if you don’t have Ham Hocks
- 1/2 pound smoked meat (ham hocks, smoked turkey wings, or smoked neck bones)
- 1 tablespoon House seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1 large bunch collard greens (or any kind of greens or combo of greens you have)
- 1 tablespoon butter
In a large pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and add smoked meat, house seasoning, seasoned salt and hot sauce. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 1 hour.
Wash the collard greens thoroughly. Remove the stems that run down the center by holding the leaf in your left hand and stripping the leaf down with your right hand. The tender young leaves in the heart of the collards don’t need to be stripped. Stack 6 to 8 leaves on top of one another, roll up, and slice into 1/2 to 1-inch thick slices. Place greens in pot with meat and add butter. Cook for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. When done taste and adjust seasoning.
Serve with favorite dish as a side.
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
NOTE: * We use bacon fat when we don’t have ham hocks, etc… – 2TBSP of Bacon Fat