This soup was seriously good. Zach altered it from a chowder recipe on Epicurious. It was a meal in itself and we served it with John’s homemade bread (same recipe as his pizza dough but put into a round loaf form) and salad greens from the CSA food box.
Broccoli, Roasted Red Pepper, & Cheddar Soup Recipe ->
- 1 small head broccoli (1/2 pound)
- 1 large sweet potato (1/2 pound) or regular potato if you don’t have a sweet potato
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Roasted red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1- 1/2 peppers worth from a can/bottle)
- 2 leeks, washed, trimmed and cut up
- l large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sour cream (or heavy cream)
- 6 oz sharp Cheddar, coarsely grated (1 1/2 cups)
Steam head of broccoli in a separate pan while you are cooking the potatoes, onions, peppers, broccoli stems, garlic, and butter in a larger sauce pan for 10 minutes. Add the cumin, salt, pepper, and dry mustard for 1 minute. Add flour and cook 2 minutes. Add reserved cooking water and steamed broccoli and cook for 10 minutes more until potatoes are cooked. Stir in sour cream (or heavy cream), cheese, and salt & pepper.
Puree 2 cups of soup mix in blender until smooth and return to pan. Cook 2 more minutes and serve!