We love to have wine tasting parties with a mixture of guests ranging in age from their later 20’s to their 60’s. That way you are sure to get a good variety of wines from less than $10 bottles to more than $50 bottles!
This is one of our wine tasting party ideas that we executed last month. It was a big success!
•8 bottles with a mixture of reds & whites for 16 people
How we constructed our tasting:
- Wrapped each bottle with brown paper bags to hide the labels. We then put a # on each one. This way our tasting could be somewhat blind.
- Asked everyone to bring their own wine glass and to wear something funny.
- Organized appetizers of cheese and crackers, fruits, and a pitcher of water. We also gave each person a piece of paper and a pen to rate the wines from 1 (least favorite) to 5 (exceptional).
- Gave everyone a number from 1 to 4 and got into 4 groups of 4 for the tasting. This way people who don’t know each other get to meet and chat. By the end of the night they are buddies, trust me!
- Group 1 started with wine #1, group 2 with wine #2 and so on.
- Each group discussed the wine together and then individually rated it on their piece of paper.
- At the end of the tasting we collected each taster’s wine ratings and our “Mathematician” averaged the scores to find the group favorite.
2009 Wine Tasting Party Winner: Forty-Five North, Pinot Noir Rose ($18)